Saturday, March 10, 2007

Toad overload



It seems no matter what animal I come across, I try to turn it into a pet. This little toad sitting beside our porch looked a little depressed.


toad eating mealworms


Maybe he would like some meal worms ...


toad eating mealworms


Apparently he likes them - quicker than I could press the camera button, three mealworms turned into one. Notice how the position of his feet didn't change.


toad eating mealworms


Another worm...


toad eating mealworms


Gone! Again, quicker than I could press the camera button. Again, his feet didn't move.


toad eating mealworms


OK, here comes another one...


toad eating mealworms


Yes! Finally an action shot!


toad eating mealworms


Another one approaches...


toad eating mealworms


But apparently Mr. Toad's tummy is full or he just wants to be tickled under the chin ...



toad eating mealworms


because he lets this one live.


toad eating mealworms


6 comments:

Mary said...

Susan, I am sitting here at work and laughing out loud! What a great capture of something so sweet that we seldom see. Thanks for the smile! Toads, lizards - they are all pets.

LauraHinNJ said...

Did he come back the next day for breakfast?

Thanks for these cute photos!

Susan said...

Yes Mary, I've been known to give mealworms to the lizards too!

And Laura, I haven't seen him since last evening - didn't realize what a sweet deal he had here, I guess.

Laura said...

Are you sure he didn't get wedged down there?

Susan said...

Laura,
He was gone a little while later.

Anonymous said...

Someone sent me a link to your blog because it featured this toad! Great pics! I thought I was the only one in NC who has discovered the joys of feeding toads worms. I have a toad who I call Jack who lives under a rug in our rock garden (a rug I won't remove because he has claimed it as his home.) I discovered he would eat earth worms if I threw them to him. He has fattened up in the past month! He and his friend come out to sun in the broad daylight on the warm rocks. It's hilarious.

You have a nice blog - love it! I'm a big wildlife / bird / pet enthusiast.

Thought you might enjoy this Youtube video called Toad Eats Worm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1l60jLnMk&eurl=