Thursday, May 25, 2006

A little more about Monkey



Although I set Monkey free on Tuesday, he still comes back to sleep in our screen room at night. Well, he doesn't exactly come back - at sunset I go squirrel hunting (the kind without a weapon), find him, offer him my arm and he willingly climbs aboard my body. Tuesday evening he was absolutely exhausted after his first day of tree climbing. He climbed inside my sweatshirt and promptly fell asleep. I took him into the screen room offered him some formula (which he didn't want) and a walnut (which he ate). Then he drank lots of water and went back to sleep. This photo shows him curled on my hand sound asleep. Normally he would fight me when I would try to put him into his cage at night, but that night he never even woke up as I moved him into his "nest" (a cardboard box filled with fleece cloth and leaves).


squirrel in hand


3 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

Awww.. how sweet! Love the way he's curled up in his tail.

How long do you expect he will come *home* at night?

Susan said...

Hi Laura,
Well, tonight was night 4 & he's still returning to our screen porch for the night. I don't know how long it will be before he makes a nest for himself in a tree - guess I need to email some experienced squirrel rehabbers for some more info. In any case, I'll miss him when he stops coming "home".

LauraHinNJ said...

I bet you will, Susan.

Don't know how rehabbers can ever let something *go* into the wild - I understand the absolute need to, but it must be hard emotionally.