Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Christmas cactus & the birds



My Christmas cactus doesn't wait until Christmas to bloom. I keep it outside on the deck all summer, then bring it inside when the fall night temps start to dip below 40F - usually early November. A few weeks later - voila!


Christmas Cactus


Here's a close up view ...


Christmas Cactus


Most summers, the Carolina wrens build a well-hidden (except from me) nest in the cactus. This photo was taken in July 2005 -


Carolina Wren babies


Now that it's inside, Honeycomb is enjoying it. He likes to pick at the spider webs.


Chrismas Cactus & Society Finch


5 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Your Christmas cactus is absolutely gorgeous! I love those gaping mouths on the wren babies and Honeycomb sure looks happy.

Susan said...

Thank you Lynne! Yes, Honeycomb is quite the little explorer. Christmas cactus, Christmas tree - he makes the rounds.

Susan Gets Native said...

Great, now you have me craving spring with those precious gaping mouths!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Will you please post a picture of Honeycomb in your Christmas tree? I have a 3 foot Christmas tree decorated will little bird ornaments, but would love to see the real live Honeycomb sitting in a Christmas tree!

Laura said...

That reminds me. Watched a magpie collecting webs this autumn. Why was it doing this? It looked very clever doing absorbed in this activity but I couldn't figure out what it was up to....