Monday, January 09, 2006

Winter break






At home in North Carolina, my husband and I do quite a lot of volunteer work. Here in Florida, much less. Our only volunteer work here is our Mondays working with Habitat for Humanity of Collier County. Most of the volunteers are retirees, and we love it when we are joined by various groups of college kids. Today we welcomed a group of kids from Kansas City, Mo.





I really admire these kids who give up their vacations to do this work. When we were in college, our breaks from school were "all about us" - going out, sleeping late, getting sunburned. It never occured to us to use our time and energy to help others. The photo above shows some of the kids working on the roof - a job I never volunteer for. I spent my day safely at ground level installing door knobs.





Here are some of the finished homes.

No comments: