Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The woodpeckers & the hawk





Strolling with Pup 1 yesterday, I heard two birds calling loudly to each other in the woods. When it comes to recognizing bird calls, I'm admittedly a bit weak and I couldn't identify the birds by their sounds. But I figured if I watched closely I might see something interesting. And I did. It turned out to be a pair of pileated woodpeckers. I just love those birds and we usually only see them a couple of times a year, although we often hear their hammer-like pecking in the distance. I picked up the pup and hurried home for my camera and binoculars. I managed to snap some not-too-great photos before they "flew the coop" with a red-tailed hawk following them. Unlike the woodpeckers, the hawk landed nearby and posed nicely for some photos.




No comments: